Mia’s father had a laboratory, but she had no idea what was in it. Her dad always closed and locked the door when he went in. She knew that he used it to do projects for work. He never told Mia what these projects were.
1 One night, Mia approached the door to the laboratory. She stopped and thought, “I wonder what crazy experiment he is doing now.” Suddenly, she heard a loud noise. It sounded like an evil laugh. The noise scared her, so she walked quickly back to her room.
The next night, her friend Liz came to her house. When Liz arrived, Mia told her about the night before. “Oh, it was terrible,” she said.
“Why don’t we see what is in there?” Liz asked. “It will be a fun adventure!” Mia felt nervous about going into her father’s laboratory, but she agreed. As always, the door was locked. They waited until Mia’s father left the laboratory to eat dinner. “He didn’t lock the door!” Liz said. “Let’s go.”
The laboratory was dark. The girls walked down the stairs carefully. Mia smelled strange chemicals. What terrible thing was her father creating?
Suddenly, they heard an evil laugh. It was even worse than the one Mia heard the night before. What if a monster was going to kill them? Mia had to do something. She shouted for help.
Mia’s father ran into the room and turned on the lights. “Oh, no,” he said. “You must have learned my secret.” “Your monster tried to kill us,” Mia said.
“Monster?” he asked. “You mean this?” He had a pretty doll in his hands. The doll laughed. The laugh didn’t sound so evil anymore. “I made this foryour birthday. I wanted to give it to you then, but you can have it now. I hope you like it !”
Answer the questions.
- What is this story about?
- a. A girl’s terrible experiment.
- b. A secret that two girls have.
- c. A girl who gets nervous about what’s in a laboratory.
- d. A man who creates chemicals.
- What scares Mia when she approaches the door?
- a. The room is very dark.
- b. She hears a person shout.
- c. She smells fire.
- d. She hears a loud noise.
- What is true of Mia in the story?
- a. A monster kills her friend.
- b. She does not like adventures.
- c. She always locks the door of her room.
- d. Her birthday has not come yet.
- What project was Mia’s father working on?
- a. A doll to give to Mia for her birthday.
- b. A way to keep the door closed.
- c. A chemical that smells worse than fire.
- d. A monster that had an evil laugh.
- When did Mia and Liz go into the laboratory?
|Answer the questions.|
|1||c. A girl who gets nervous about what’s in a laboratory.|
|2||d. She hears a loud noise.|
|3||d. Her birthday has not come yet.|
|4||a. A doll to give to Mia for her birthday.|
|5||Mia and Liz went into the laboratory when Mia’s father left the laboratory to eat dinner.|