First you will hear a short conversation:
Next you will read three questions with four possible answers:
1. What are the man and woman mainly discussing?
A) A vacation
B) A budget
C) A company policy
D) A conference
2. How is the woman traveling?
A) By plane
B) By bus
C) By taxi
D) By car
3. Why aren’t the man and woman going together?
A) The woman needs to arrive earlier.
B) The man has to work overtime.
C) The woman dislikes air travel.
D) The man has to go to the bank first.
- Choice A is mentioned, but the man is asking if she needs to take a “vacation day”. In Part III there is often one or two choices that are mentioned but are not correct.
- Choice B is related to saving money for the company, but this is not the main topic of the conversation. Be careful with main subject questions, because incorrect choices may be small details from the conversation.
- Choice C repeats the word “company,” but no policy is mentioned. In Part III there is often one choice that includes a word from the conversation. You may have heard the word, but it is not the correct choice.
The correct answer is D.
- Choice A is how the man is getting to the conference. In Part III there is often one or two choices that are mentioned but are not correct.
- Choice C is how the man is getting to the airport. “Taxi” is mentioned but is not correct.
- Choice D is not mentioned. In Part III there is often one choice that is not mentioned at all.
The correct answer is B.
- Choice A confuses the idea of “leaving earlier” and “arriving earlier”.
- Choice B repeats the word “overtime”, but it was the woman who did overtime last week.
- Choice D uses the homonym bank, but in this conversation the term “bank” means to store up for later use, not a financial institution. In Part III there are often homonyms as distractors.
The correct answer is C.
Man: Do you want to share a taxi to the airport? We can save on expenses that way, and as you know the company is trying to cut costs.
Woman: Actually I’m not flying. I’m going to the conference by bus. I have to leave tomorrow because it’s going to take two days to get there.
Man: That’s right. I forgot that you are afraid of flying. Are you taking a vacation day tomorrow?
Woman: Well, I worked some overtime last week, so I just banked it instead of wasting a holiday day.